(learn more about this opportunity )
Title of Position: Labourer-Teacher
Term: Summer months (May to Labour Day). Some positions may extend into Fall.
Location: Rural workplaces in Southwestern and Central Ontario. Some Outreach positions are available.
Deadline: Limited positions are available; applications due February 29, 2012.
We are seeking mature and dedicated individuals seeking challenging summer job opportunities and who possess a keen interest in international and rural development work and/or literacy and teaching to fill the positions of Labourer-Teachers in the Frontier College Labourer-Teacher program for 2012.
Labourer-Teachers work as paid manual labourers during the day on farms in South Western and Central Ontario. In addition to the physical work, they volunteer their time to provide educational and recreational opportunities for their co-workers who are predominantly migrant farm workers from Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean.
ACCOUNTABILITY AND REPORTING
Labourer-Teachers work independently and report to the Program Manager.
- Some post-secondary education
- Experience with community development and volunteer organizations
- Teaching/Tutoring experience
- Physical fitness
- Background in physical labour/relevant physical pursuits
- Ability to live and work closely with others, especially in multicultural settings
- Knowledge of Spanish an asset, but not mandatory
- Ability to drive would be beneficial
- Excellent judgment and interpersonal skills; high level of maturity
- Demonstrated ability to work in high standards unsupervised and to take initiative
WHAT YOU GET FROM THIS PROGRAM
- The experience of a lifetime!
- Intensive pre-placement training
- Support during the placement
- New skills, and the chance to be a part of our second century of service
TERMS & REMUNERATION
- Current agricultural wage of $10.25 per hour. The Labourer-Teacher Program assists participants with travel costs.
- Long hours mainly during the summer (May to Labour Day); Up to 12 hours per day in peak season, 6 to 7 days per week. Positions may be available in the fall.
- Housing is provided by employer.
- Download a Application Form.
MS Word version (55k) PDF version (180k)
- Send your completed (1) General Application Form, (2) a resume and (3) covering letter, via post, fax or email to the following address:
99 Talbot St. E. #3
Leamington ON N8H 1L4
Please note that only shortlisted candidates
will be contacted for an interview.
Frontier College is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in the workplace. Candidates with Latino or Caribbean backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply for this position.
Back to Job Opportunities