THIS POSITION IS FUNDED BY CANADA SUMMER JOBS AND SO YOU MUST BE A STUDENT RETURNING TO SCHOOL FULL TIME IN THE FALL IN ORDER TO QUALIFY FOR THIS POSITION.
Frontier College is a national, non-profit literacy organization which was founded in 1899. We work with children, teens, adults and families who need help to improve their literacy skills. We work with a variety of community-based organizations to deliver volunteer-run, community-based programs across Canada. Many of our programs are delivered through a national network of university campus-based initiatives.
We are seeking a mature and dedicated individual to develop and facilitate literacy programs for migrant farm workers in Leamington, Ontario. You should possess a keen interest in community development work and/or literacy and teaching to fill the position. Additionally, you will deliver literacy classes to workers employed on farms in the area.
This position will work within the Southwestern Ontario regional team and report to the Regional Coordinator of Southwestern Ontario. The Literacy Outreach Worker position will work independently to coordinate and teach literacy classes in the Norfolk area. As the Literacy Outreach Worker, you will represent Frontier College in the Norfolk county community.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Skills and Attributes
- Plan and teach literacy classes for migrant farm workers in the Norfolk area.
- Using the existing literacy and computer skills curriculum, facilitate computer skills classes
- Continue to develop, sustain, monitor and evaluate program
- Conduct learner assessments for workers who participate in programming
- Work with community stakeholders (growers in the area) to offer literacy classes to workers on farms
- Perform necessary outreach strategies to ensure program attendance
- Complete all necessary reporting and documentation for the program
- Liaison with community partners
- Other duties as assigned
- Candidate must be able to work evenings and weekends as required
- Access to a vehicle is required.
- Some post-secondary education
- Experience with community development and volunteer organizations
- Experience working with multi-cultural populations
- Teaching/Tutoring experience
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office suite, Excel and the Internet
- Excellent judgment and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work to high standards unsupervised and to take initiative
: This is a contract position which begins June 30thth and ends in August 2016.
Rate of pay is $11.25 per hour for 30 hours per week.
Interested candidates should send resumé and covering letter to
Regional Coordinator of Southwestern Ontario
: Friday June 24th, 2016
For more information about Frontier College visit www.frontiercollege.ca
Frontier College is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in the workplace.
We thank all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.