Frontier College is a national, non-profit literacy organization which was founded in 1899. We work with children, teens, adults and families who need help to improve their literacy skills. We work with a variety of community-based organizations to deliver volunteer-run, community-based programs across Canada.
In Ontario Frontier College runs Summer Literacy Camps in partnership with over 25 FNMI communities. We also run 5 year round programs in collaboration with FNMI community partners in Northern Ontario.
We are seeking a full-time Coordinator who will provide logistical, program and administrative support to Literacy Camps in rural, remote and community settings. The Coordinator will be part of a regional team responsible for community relationship building, logistics and planning, staff hiring and training, project delivery, administration, evaluation and reporting. Travel to urban, rural and remote locations will from time to time be frequent and is required. The Coordinator will also provide support as needed to ongoing programs.
The Camp Coordinator will report directly to the Regional Manager of Northern Ontario and works closely with other regional staff on all aspects of the Summer Literacy Camps and works both independently and collaboratively to carry out and promote the work of Frontier College in the province.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Skills and Attributes:
- Assist with building strong relationships with camp communities and the development of camp delivery plans
- Assist in coordinating and implementing all logistics related to summer literacy camps including travel, training, food, housing, materials, shipping, etc.
- Assist in coordinating and supporting camp staff recruitment and hiring process by scheduling and performing interviews, checking references, managing paperwork, etc.
- Support program administration, evaluation and reporting by collecting, receiving, compiling and submitting results on a weekly basis during and after camp period.
- Support and liaison with camp counsellors’ teams throughout the duration of the project: community visits, weekly follow up calls, daily problem-solving, managing social media, etc.
- Provide general administrative support including phones, mail, supplies, filing systems, research, and other requests
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, lively and constantly changing environment
- Experience with travel to and/or working in remote communities
- Welcoming, confident and friendly manner, with excellent interpersonal and conflict management skills
- Experience delivering training material and fostering a vibrant, inclusive learning environment
- Highly committed and organized multi-tasker, with exceptional attention to detail
- Experience with Microsoft Office, especially Excel and Word
- Willingness to work extended or weekend hours on occasion, and available to travel at short notice
- Driver’s license & access to vehicle
- Demonstrated ability to manage multi-stakeholder projects
- Experience working with or living in FNMI communities
- Possess passion for literacy, essential skills and cultural diversity
- A sense of adventure and ability to both work independently and as member of a team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
: We offer an attractive compensation package, excellent benefits and a chance to work in a supportive environment.
Interested candidates should send resumé and covering letter to
Regional Manager Cathy Mehagan Email: email@example.com
: Until filled
For more information about Frontier College visit www.frontiercollege.ca
You will be contacted if you are selected for an interview.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from diverse individuals who self-identify on the basis of any of the protected grounds under the Human Rights Code. We are committed to integration and maintaining the independence of individuals and removing barriers to accessibility in the workplace. We are committed to full compliance with the Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and all other applicable legislation. We invite applicants to request accommodation, as required, throughout the application and hiring process.