Frontier College is a national, charitable literacy organization that was founded in 1899. We work with children, teens, adults and families who need help to improve their literacy skills. We work with a variety of partner organizations to deliver volunteer-run, community-based programs across Canada. Frontier College is accredited under the Imagine Canada Standards program.
Reporting to the Director, Communications and Annual Giving, the successful candidate will lead the planning, marketing, and execution of all special events and drives the research and business case development for new events. The Manager will also play a supportive role in increasing annual giving from individuals through prospecting, cultivation, and stewardship activities to achieve annual fundraising targets.
The Manager is responsible for developing and implementing strategic plans for each event; marketing and communications to support the events; and maintaining and building relationships with sponsors, event committees, volunteers, suppliers, and staff. The Manager will work with other members of Frontier College staff, regional offices, and the President’s office to support the overall revenue generation plan.
The Manager has solid marketing and fundraising skills that will grow participation and increase retention. He/she has superior relationship building and communication skills and is effective when working with senior level executives, committee members, donors, volunteers, and suppliers.
The Events portfolio at Frontier College comprises special events (fundraising, internal, and public), third party events, sponsorship, cause related marketing partnerships, and local community and business engagement. The successful candidate will be part of a small and cohesive revenue generation team.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Skills and Attributes
- Organize and run local, regional, and national special events
- Source and foster relationships with suppliers, sponsors, and volunteers
- Manage event related activities including research and planning; budgeting and invoicing; sponsor coordination and management; supplier liaison and agreements; prize donation procurement; producing marketing collateral (tickets, posters, invitations, web site and social media content); building and maintaining registration forms and reports, volunteer recruitment and schedules; travel arrangements; evaluation
- Identify, solicit, and steward event attendees, donors, and sponsors
- Evaluate event performance relating to revenue and participation levels
- Coordinate marketing and fundraising activities at third party and public events
- Draft proposals for solicitation, cultivation meetings, and presentations
- Coordinates sponsor lead generation and outreach activities to support development and growth of event sponsorship revenue and gift-in-kind donations (silent auction items, food and beverages, entertainment, supplies, equipment, venues, etc.)
- Coordinate messaging and activities related to events on social media platforms
- Attend meetings with committees, suppliers, and sponsors; prepare agendas, update stakeholder lists, and take and distribute minutes (may occur outside work hours)
- Collaborate effectively and provide support to Frontier College staff, volunteers, and alumni on events
- Drive the research and business case development for new events as they are required to supplement or replace existing events
- Collaborate closely with development colleagues in increasing support from individuals to support the revenue generation plan (includes writing and researching various ad hoc reports, acknowledgements, research, and other general administrative requirements)
- The successful candidate will be self-motivated, entrepreneurial, and willing to take complete ownership of projects and duties
- Charitable sector experience in fundraising, events, and volunteer management
- Strong organizational and time management skills to determine work priorities and manage multiple projects in a fast-paced and resource-lean environment
- Highly organized and great attention to detail
- Proven administrative and analytical skills
- Good relationship builder with the ability to develop trust
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent customer service skills including face-to-face, written, and over the phone communication
- Professional and compelling written and verbal communication skills. Ability to speak to groups of people in a variety of settings
- Demonstrates initiative, drive, and strong self-motivation abilities
- Proven ability to attain financial and project goals within prescribed timelines
- Proven ability to exercise diplomacy and good judgment
- Team player, resourceful, and organized; able to multi-task in a variety of contexts
- Experience and comfort working with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders, including boards, volunteers, and donors
- Adherence to industry standards as they relate to confidentiality
- Adherence to CRA rules and regulations
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications and relational fundraising database software. DonorPerfect experience considered an asset.
- Social media knowledge, as it relates to marketing events and community engagement, is also an asset
- Superior record keeping skills; ability to develop and manage budgets and financial reports
- Ability to work effectively in fast-paced, lively, and changing environment
- Bilingualism (French/English) written and spoken an asset
- CFRE designation an asset
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle as travel is required
- A passion for the mandate and activities of Frontier College
Works under pressure at peak times of the year with tight deadlines, high volume workload, and with multiple demands, changing and overlapping priorities.
Occasional evening and weekend work. Travel is required.
Job involves occasional moving of event supplies and equipment. Heavy lifting required.
: We offer an attractive compensation package, excellent benefits, and a chance to work in a supportive environment.
This job opportunity may remain posted until the position is filled.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resumé to
Michelle Fraser by midnight on June 28, 2019
. Michelle Fraser, firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
: June 28, 2019
For more information about Frontier College visit www.frontiercollege.ca
We encourage applications that reflect the diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds we serve at Frontier College. In keeping with our ongoing efforts to promote equity and reflect the diversity of our organization, we encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
Furthermore, we welcome applications from individuals who self-identify on the basis of any of the protected grounds under the Human Rights Code.
We are committed to integration and maintaining the independence of individuals and removing barriers to accessibility in the workplace. We are committed to full compliance with the Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and all other applicable legislation. We invite applicants to request accommodation, as required, throughout the application and hiring process.