Reveal Potential Campaign
Click here to read the higlights of the National Research Report on Literacy and Essential Skills as a Poverty Reduction Strategy
Click here to read the full report of the National Research on Literacy and Essential Skills as a Poverty Reduction Strategy.
The #RevealPotential campaign aims to raise awareness of the importance of literacy, and to kick-start a new, more holistic conversation about literacy and essential skills as tactics for poverty reduction.
The best way to lift people out of poverty is to improve literacy and essential skills.
One in five people in Canada struggle with reading, writing, or skills like math.
Compared to those with a high level of literacy, people with low literacy have fewer choices when it comes to jobs, education, and housing. These individuals are also more likely to have adverse health outcomes and face more challenging lives.
But the good news is that literacy programs can make a real difference, helping unlock the potential of thousands of adults and children across Canada and helping end the cycle of poverty.
Download the campaign graphics (save image below or click on link)
How you can help
- Follow Frontier College on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Retweet and share posts with the #RevealPotential hashtag.
- Download the campaign graphics and use them on your social media accounts. If you’re a literacy practitioner, post them on your organization’s group or page and encourage your followers to share.
- Post using the #RevealPotential hashtag and share your own experience with literacy or poverty reduction. Photos are great too! (Make sure you have permission if your photos include other people).
- Engage with other users who are posting with the #RevealPotential hashtag. Replying, liking and sharing helps us reach more people!
- Start a conversation about literacy in your family or workplace. Did you find the stats on literacy surprising? What could your community do to help people with low literacy achieve their potential?
- If you aren’t already involved, consider volunteering with a literacy program in your community.
- If you are able, consider supporting Frontier College to help us unlock the potential of more children and adults across the country.
- Check out our discussion paper on Literacy and Poverty for more research and statistics on literacy as a poverty-reduction tactic.
Share on social media! Sample posts:
- The best way to lift people out of poverty is to improve literacy and essential skills. Help #RevealPotential and support Frontier College and the delivery of literacy programs across Canada https://bit.ly/2V4lXin
- 1 in 5 Canadians struggle with reading, writing or math. And millions more don’t have the essential skills to succeed in today’s economy. It’s time to spread the word and #RevealPotential https://bit.ly/2V4lXin
- Low literacy makes it difficult to get an education, a job, or find housing. Learn more and help Frontier College #RevealPotential by volunteering in your community. https://bit.ly/2V4lXin
- I’m one of the 9 out of 10 Canadians who believe more needs to be done to improve literacy rates. Learn how literacy can help reduce poverty and #RevealPotential at https://bit.ly/2V4lXin